Wednesday, March 11, 2009

“Christ gave us the goals and Mahatma Gandhi the tactics.” — Martin Luther King Jr, 1955

I have been a big fan of Gandhi. He once said:"When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and when I see not one ray of light on the horizon, I turn to the Bhagavad Gita, and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. My life has been full of tragedies and if they have not left any visible and indelible effect on me, I owe it to the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita.

Now thats a different question why Gita and not Bible. The point here is "overwhelming sorrows", "tragedies" is part of everyone's life. Note how people find peace by reading scriptures. Something what Jesus said: "THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE".

Some of his quotes:

"Be the change you want to see in this world"

"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test:
Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him. Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to Swaraj for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melting away. "

"I do not want a kingdom,salvation,or heaven, what i want is to remove the trouble of the oppressed the poor, and the needy" (I cannot confirm if Gandhi actually said that. This is from http://www.manavsadhna.org/)

1 comment: