Yesterday, Gideon Stanley rightly pointed out "you are what you eat". And, Gideon said, this is exactly true with the Word of God, on which we need to feast on frequently, so that we can be more and more like Jesus... John said Word became Flesh (Jesus) and Jesus talked of eating His flesh...His body was broken for us, and we do communion to remember that (bread we eat reminds of His body and is analogous to in-taking Word that became flesh)...
More passages from Bible on the importance of regular feasting on God's Word (courtesy MIKE Cleveland):
- Not only were the Israelites told to put the blood of the lamb on their doorposts, they were also instructed to eat the Passover lamb (now Jesus/Word). (Exodus 12:11)
- Psalm 1:2, 3: "His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law He meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither."
- Deuteronomy 8:3: "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."
- John 6:48-51: "I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
- Jeremiah 15:16: "When your words came, I ate them. They were my joy and my heart's delight."
- John 17:17: "Sanctify them [set them apart from sin] by the truth: your Word is truth!"
- Joshua 1:8: "Do not let this book of the Law depart from your mouth. Meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful."